The Düsseldorf Stadtbahn is the metro service in Düsseldorf, Germany. It was inaugurated on August 6th, 1988. It has 11 lines and 161 stations. The metro makes connections to the transportation services owned by Rheinbahn, the same company that owns the metro. The central metro station is 7 minutes from Düsseldorf International Airport via the Regionalbahn train. Some lines are open only from Monday to Friday, while other lines open all year round. Tickets with discounts for students and for people traveling exclusively to their workplace are available. Smoking is not allowed in the metro. As a fun fact, the metro does not have any turnstiles. Two new lines, lines U80 and U81, will be constructed. Königsalle is one of the attractions that you could visit using the metro.
Düsseldorf is the capital of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. With a population of approximately 600,000 people, it is the 7th most populated city in Germany. Düsseldorf is one of the most important cities in Germany because of its strong economy. This city is famous for the Boot Messe, which is a fair showcasing boats. Düsseldorf is also famous for its fashion and as a shopping destination.
There are three airports in Düsseldorf: Düsseldorf International Airport, which is the biggest airport in the city, Köln Bonn Airport and Weeze Airport. The city's public means of transportation are: buses, tramways, the suburban train (S-Bahn), trains such as the Regionalbahn and the Regionalexpress, the nationwide train (Deutsche Bahn) and the metro (Düsseldorf Stadtbahn). Rheinbahn AG is the company that owns the metro and many other transportation services in Düsseldorf.
The Düsseldorf Metro was officially inaugurated on August 6th, 1988. There were plans to make an underground train service since the 60s. The original plan was to begin construction in 1959 of a metro service with five stations. However, the construction was cancelled because its funding went to the construction of a train in the region of Rhine-Ruhr. That train later became the Stadtbahn Rhein-Ruhr.
The Düsseldorf Stadtbahn was originally divided into four sections. Sections one and two were inaugurated alongside the metro. The third section, called the Wehrhahn Line, was finished on February 20th, 2016. The fourth section was cancelled. The first stations to be opened were Kennedydamm/College of Music in October 3rd, 1981, Heinrich-Heine-Allee and Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof in May 7th. All of these stations were inaugurated before the official inauguration of the metro, while it was still a light rail service.
The metro has 11 lines: U70, U71, U72, U73, U74, U75, U76, U77, U78, U79, and U83. These lines are comprised of 161 different stations. There are stations that are shared by multiple lines, which is why the total number of stations seems to be more than 161. The stations for each line are the following:
U70: It has 18 stations. These stations are the following: Krefeld, Rheinstraße, Diessem, Krefeld Hbf, KR-Grundend, Fischelm, Bovert, Hoterheide, Haus Meer, Landsknecht, Mb. Büderich, Belsenplatz, Lörick, Tonhalle/Ehrenhof, Luegplatz, Heinrich-Heine-Allee, Oststraße., Steinstraße/Königsallee, Düsseldorf Hbf
U71: It has the following 37 stations: Rath S, Rath Mitte S, Rotdornstraße, Haeselerstraße, Am Schein, Hansaplatz, Heinrichstraße, Brehmplatz, Grunerstraße, Uhlandstraße, Schillerplatz, Pempelforter Straße, Wehrhahn S, Heinrich-Heine-Allee, Schadowstraße, Graf-Adolf-Platz, Benrather Straße, Bilk S, Kirchplatz, Auf'm Hennekamp, Karolingerplatz, Christophstraße, Uni-Kliniken, Werstener Dolstraße, Südpark, Ickerswarder Straße, Opladener Straße, Holthausen, Elbruchstraße, Am Trippelsberg, Niederheid, Kappeler Straße, Urdenbacher Allee, Schloss Benrath, Benrath S, Schöne Aussicht, Benrath, Betriebshof
U72: It has the following 31 stations: Ratingen Mitte, Europaring, Weststraße, Ratingen, Felderhof, Gerhardstraße, Hirschweg, Hubertushain, Rather Waldstadion, Oberrath, Rather Broich, Graf-Recke-Straße, Mörsenbroicher Weg, Vantierstraße, Engerstraße, Schlüterstraße/Arbeitsagentur, Lindemannstraße, Wehrhahn S, Uhlandstraße, Schadowstraße, Pempelforther Straße, Heinrich-Heine-Allee, Graf-Adolf-Allee, Benrath Straße, Bilk S, Kirchplatz, Südring, Suitbertusstraße, Volmerswerther, Aachener Platz, Krahkampweg, Hellriegelstraße
U73: It has the following 23 stations: Gerresheim S, Hardenbergstraße, Morper Straße, Schönaustraße, Von-Gahlen-Straße, Vor der Hardt, Auf der Hardt/LVR Klinikum, Burgmüllerstraße, Pöhlenweg, Auf'm Hennekamp, Christophstraße, Uni-Kliniken, Karolingerplatz, Südpark, Engerstraße, Uhlandstraße, Lindemannstraße, Schlüterstraße/Arbeitsagentur, Dörpfeldstraße, Gerresheim, Rathaus, Friedingstraße, Benrather Straße, Universität Ost/Botanischer Garten
U74: It has the following 31 stations: Mb. Görgesheide, Kamperweg, Hoterheide, Haus Meer, Bovert, Mb Büderich, Landsknecht, Forsthaus, Lörick, Lohweg, Löricker Straße, Prinzenallee, Rheinbahnhaus, Barbarossaplatz, Belsenplatz, Tonhalle/Ehrenhof, Luegplatz, Steinstraße/Königsallee, Heinrich-Heine-Allee, Oststraße, Oberbilker-Markt/Warschauer, Düsseldorf Hbf, Ellerstraße, Kaiserslauterner Straße, Oberbilk S, Werstener Dorfstraße, Provinzialplatz, Ickerswarder Straße, Opladener Straße, Elbruchstraße, Heerdter Sandberg, Holthausen
U75: It has the following 21 stations: Neuss Hbf, NE-Am Kaiser S, Blücherstraße, Handweiser, D-Vogesenstraße, Heesenstraße, Aldekerkstraße, Nikolaus-Knopp-Platz, Belsenplatz, Drususstraße, Dominikus Krakenhaus, Luegplatz, Barbarossaplatz, Lierenfeld Betriebshof, Ronsdorfer Straße, Schlesische Straße, Jägerstraße, Am Hackenbruch, Alt-Eller, Düsseldorf-Eller Mitte S, Eller, Vennhauser Allee
U76: It has 22 stations. Some of its stations are: Krefeld, Rheinstraße, Diessem, Königshof, Fischeln, Handelszentrum/Moskauer Straße
U77: It has 14 stations. Some of its stations are: Am Seesterm, Provinzialplatz, Tonhalle/Ehrenhof, Belsenplatz, Holthausen
U78: It has 8 stations. Some of its stations are: ESPRIT Arena/Messe Nord, Golzheimer Platz, Theodor-Heuss-Brücke, Kennedydamm, Düsseldorf Hbf
U79: It has 30 stations. Some of its stations are: Duisburg-Meiderich Bahnhof, Resser Platz, Alte Landstraße, Wittlaer, Universität Ost/Botanischer Garten
U83: It has 29 stations. Some of its stations are: Gerresheim-Krankenhaus, Urdenbacher Allee, Kappeler Straße, Niederheid, Benrath, Betriebshof.
The metro can make connections with buses and trains from other companies, such as VRS (Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Sieg) and AVV (Aachener Verkehrsverbund). It also makes connections to other transportation services owned by Rheinbahn, such as buses, the Regionalexpress, the Regionalbahn, trams, the S-Bahn, buses and trains from the Nacht Express and the Schnell Bus.
The main airport in Düsseldorf is Düsseldorf International Airport. The closest metro station to the airport is Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof. From the airport, walk towards Airport Station. Then, board a Regionalbahn train in line RE6 towards Dormagen Bf. Get off at Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof station. You can board the metro and many other trains at this station. The trip from the airport to this metro station lasts 7 minutes. You need to have Zone A3 stamped on your ticket.
Some lines, like U70, only open during weekdays. Other lines, like U71, open every day, including holidays. The opening and closing times for each line during weekdays are the following:
The metro's fares can be paid with tickets and subscriptions. The ticket’s prices will be displayed below:
Tickets: They are divided into the following categories: Zusatz Tickets, Einbach Weiter Ticket, Ticket 2000, Ticket 1000, Young Ticket Plus, Semester Ticket, Firmen Ticket, Sozial Ticket, Einzel Ticket, Tages Ticket, 4er Ticket, Happy Hour Ticket, 7-Tage Ticket, 10er Ticket, Hotel-Kombi Ticket, and Kombi Ticket.
1) Zusatz Tickets (€3.40): It can be purchased as a bundle of four tickets at a cost of €12.20. If you already have a ticket for the metro, the Zusatz ticket gives you additional benefits, including: travelling in first class, travelling to additional zones, allowing you extra travel time in Zone D, and allowing you to bring bicycles.
2) Einfach Weiter Ticket: To use this ticket, you require to bring a subscription of Ticket 2000 or Ticket 1000. Prices are: First class for adults = €6.40, first class for children = €4.80, second class for adults = €6.40, and second class for children = €3.20.
3) Ticket 2000: Offers unlimited rides for a month. It can be bought as a ticket or as a subscription. It offers more benefits than Ticket 1000. Its prices are: zone A1 = €76.40, zone A2 = €80.40, zone A3 = €83, zone B = €117.15, zone C = €151.25, and zone D = €194.50. There is another version of this ticket called Ticket 2000 9:00, which offers rides after 9:00 am. Its prices are: zone A1 = €56.85, zone A2 = €59.55, zone A3 = €61.40, zone B = €88.70, zone C = €113.25, and zone D = €146.70. If you want to travel on first class, the prices for ticket 2000 9:00 are the following: zones A and B = €45.45, and C and D = €80.90.
4) Ticket 1000: Unlimited rides for a month to certain zones. It has less benefits than Ticket 2000. Available in two types: regular, and 9:00. Ticket 9:00 offers rides after 9:00 am. Prices for the regular ticket are the following: zone A1 = €67.85, zone A2 = €71.65, zone A3 = €74.30, zone B = €107.40, zone C = €142.30, and zone D = €181.30. Prices for ticket 9:00 are the following: zone A1 = €50.25, zone A2 = €53, zone A3 = €54.75, zone B = €79.35, zone C = €104.65, and zone D = €135.10. Prices for first class in 9:00 are the following: zones A and B = €45.45, and C and D = €80.90.
5) 30-Tage Ticket: Offers rides for a month, with the benefit that you can choose the date when you want to start using the ticket. These tickets are a variation of the Ticket 2000 and Ticket 1000. Prices for the 30-Tage Ticket 2000 are the following: zone A1 = €76.40, zone A2 = €80.40, zone A3 = €83, zone B = €117.15, zone C = €151.25, and zone D = €194.50. Prices for the 30-Tage Ticket 2000 9:00 are the following: zone A1 = €56.85, zone A2 = €59.55, zone A3 = €61.40, zone B = €88.70, and zone C = €113.25, and zone D = €146.70. Prices for 30-Tage Ticket 1000 are the following: zone A1 = €67.85, zone A2 = €71.65, zone A3 = €74.30, zone B = €107.40, zone C = €142.30, and zone D = €181.30. Prices for 30-Tage Ticket 9:00 are the following: zone A1 = €50.25, zone A2 = €53, zone A3 = €54.75, zone B = €79.35, zone C = €104.65, and zone D = €135.10.
6) Young Ticket Plus: Offers rides to people studying in college or in a vocational school. Works as an alternative to the Semester Ticket and the Schoko Ticket. Its prices are: zone A1 = €53.05, zone A2 = €54.40, zone A3 = €56.35, zone B = €82.10, zone C = €106.50, and zone D = €122.10.
7) Semester Ticket: Offers rides to students enrolled in a university in Düsseldorf. The price is already included in the semester's fees.
8) Firmen Ticket: Offers rides to people from their homes to their workplace for a month. Its prices are: zones A and B = €45.45, and zones C and D = €80.90.
9) Sozial Ticket (€35.35): Offers rides to unemployed people and people on welfare.
10) Einzel Ticket: Offers rides for the following number of minutes: zone A = 90 minutes, zone B = 120 minutes, zone C = 180 minutes, and zone D = 300 minutes. Its prices are: Adults: zones A1, A2, and A3 = €2.70, zone B = €5.80, zone C = €12.10, and zone D = €15; Children between 6 and 14 years of age: €1.60 for all zones.
11) Tages Ticket: Offers rides to individuals or to groups of a maximum of five people for one day until 3:00 am. Its prices for one people are: zones A1, A2, and A3 = €6.80, zone B = €13.90, zone C = €23.60, and zone D = €28.40. Its prices for two people are the following: zones A1, A2, and A3 = €10, zone B = €17.60, zone C = €27.80, and zone D = €28.40. Its prices for three people are the following: zones A1, A2, and A3 = €13.20, zone B = €21.30, zone C = €32, and zone D = €38.20. Its prices for four people are the following: zones A1, A2, and A3 = €16.40, zone B = €25, zone C = €36.20, and zone D = €43.10. Its prices for five people are the following: zones A1, A2, and A3 = €19.60, zone B = €28.70, zone C = €40.40, and zone D = €48.
12) 4er Ticket: Offers four rides. It is less expensive than the Einzel Ticket. Its prices are: Adults: zones A1, A2, and A3 = €10, zone B = €20.90, zone C = €42.80, and zone D = €52.20; Children between six and 14 years of age: €5.90.
13) Happy Hour Ticket (€2.99): Offers rides between 6:00 pm and 6:00 am.
14) 7-Tage Ticket: Offers rides for a week. Its prices are: zone A1 = €21.90, zone A2 = €26.65, zone A3 = €27.65, zone B = €40.40, zone C = €53.15, and zone D = €67.70.
15) 10er Ticket: Offers 10 rides. Its prices are: Zone K (Short Trip) = €13.60, zone A = €22, zone B = €44, zone C = €88, and zone D = €100.
16) Hotel-Kombi Ticket: Offers rides in zone D if you checked-in in any of Düsseldorf's hotels. Its price is included in the hotel's fees.
17) Kombi Ticket: Offers rides for sports games and other events. Its price is included in the ticket for the event.
If you are planning to visit museums and go to restaurants during your stay in Düsseldorf, it is recommended that you buy the Düsseldorf Welcome Card. This card offers unlimited rides from one to five days, depending on the subscription that you buy. Additionally, this card offers free access to museums and discounts for concerts and restaurants.
All of the main attractions and points of interest are located in Zone A. You may not need to buy tickets to go to zones B, C, nor D.
Two new lines will be constructed. The first one will be U81, which will be built by 2019. The second future line will be U80, which does not have a construction date yet.
Among the future stations that will be built are the following: Düsseldorf Flughafen Terminal (in 2019,) Musikhochschule/Kennedydamm, Messe-Süd, Theodor-Heuss-Brücke, and Resser Platz.
Düsseldorf Hbf station will be used as a reference point. To reach to Düsseldorf’s attractions using the metro, follow these instructions:
If you consider that the information we provide is wrong, not accurated, outdated, translation contains errors, and you would like to help us to improve the file...you can contact us here: moc.ortem-apam@ofni.
Feel free to contact us if you dont find the system you're looking for and we'll add it as soon as we can!
Thank you very much!